I cast on for the first sleeve flare today. This is causing me to learn some new techniques which is a good thing. I am learning how to do yarnovers (YO) to make decorative holes in the knitting and how to do "wrap and turn" (W&T) to make short rows to give the flare its shape. Right now it is kinda confusing to me but I think I am starting to figure it out. I haven't started the W&T's yet but am getting the hang of the YO's.
I went to Hobby Lobby today because I had a 40% off coupon and wanted to buy some size 6 bamboo straight needles for doing these flares. After driving all the way up there I found that they didn't have what I wanted. I ended up using the coupon on a skein of Red Heart sock yarn that is a possibility for the crochet trim on this project. But it is ivory and when I look at it I think it might be too warm a color to go with the blue of the sweater.
So after I left Hobby Lobby I headed to Busy Beaver's and ended up getting my needles there as well as a lonely, disheveled dark grey skein of Paton's Kroy yarn to use as another possibility for the trim. My first thought was that I wanted light grey trim on it but I couldn't find the color I had in mind anywhere. Now that I am looking at it more I am thinking maybe a dark trim wouldn't be too bad. I've got plenty of time to decide.
When I got home I cast on with my new bamboo needles and felt like my work was way too loose. So I ended going back to my trusty Addi Turbo circulars anyhow... Maybe I will switch back now that I got a few rows started. I really wanted to try out the feel of bamboo straight needles for the first time =/
1 comment:
(YO)'s and (W&T)'s Oh my!! hehe your project is coming along nicely.. I want to see that flare when you're done. :) Maybe you can use those new bamboo sticks for another project.
Post a Comment