Sunday, March 22, 2009

Stitch markers!

Yesterday I took the kids shopping with me at the craft stores. I went looking to find size 8 seed beads to decorate a shawl I plan to knit, but I didn't find what I needed. But I did get some inspiration from hanging out in the bead aisles and decided that I wanted to try my hand at making some stitch markers.

I bought some inexpensive bead variety packs, some jump rings in 7mm and 10mm sizes, some pin things and a beading tool that is similar to needle nose pliers with some extras on it.

Last night I sat at my desk for a couple hours having a great time putting these things together. I ended up making 20 markers, which I had divided up into 5 sets of 4 by coordinating colors/styles. The 7mm will fit on knitting needles up to size 7 and the 10mm ones will fit needles up to size 10.75. Each of the markers is roughly an inch long. Here are some pics:











And a size comparison:



The stitch markers in use on a new sweater I am making:



I still have tons of supplies left over so I will definitely make more. I think next time I am at the store I will check out what other size jump rings are available. I'm really proud of the ones I made so far, I think they are really pretty and the project was really fun! =)



No comments: