Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Kyuuto!

I received an awesome book for Christmas from my cousin Laura called "Kyuuto! Japanese Crafts Amigurumi". According to my book, in Japanese "kyuuto" = "cute" and "amigurumi" = "small crochet animal toys".
I really wanted to get started making something on New Years Day, and my mom happened to have some yellow yarn. The "Little Duckling" pattern seemed a great choice for my first try. I just finished him today and he turned out great!



My duckling ended up being a good bit larger than the one in the pattern. The author must have used laceweight yarn or something. I used worsted/aran and a G-sized hook which made the fabric really dense and stiff for holding its shape. My duckling measures about 7.5” tall from top of the head to bottom of the foot. He has 12mm brown safety animal eyes that I got at JoAnn. I put a small ziploc bag filled with "poly-pellets" in his body section for weight. The rest of him is stuffed with poly-fil.

The crochet itself was pretty easy. Lining the parts up and sewing them on where I wanted them was more of a challenge. He turned out really cute and I am proud of my first amigurumi.

No comments: