Sunday, January 25, 2009

Personalized crochet hook handles

I found this great video on youtube talking about how to make your own handles for your crochet hooks. I had to try it. So today I went to Michael's craft store and got some Sculpey clay in a couple sparkly colors and 2 new silver crochet hooks, size F and H. I really wanted a size G but that store was totally out of size G hooks in all the brands. What the heck?

Here's the materials I used:



Each bar of Sculpey is scored into 4 segments. I tore off 1 segment each from 2 colors and kneaded them together and twisted it to make a swirly pattern. I rolled it into the shape of a hot dog and then pushed the hook down inside. Then I squeezed the clay at the top to close it upon the needle and rolled it on the table til nice and smooth. Then I took a toothpick and made indents in the shape of an F and an H in order to mark what size the hook was. Then I placed them on a cookie sheet lined with foil and baked them for about 40 minutes at 275 degrees.





After they came out of the oven and cooled, I painted them with some Sculpey brand gloss glaze. It really brought out the sparkle. Here are the finished products:





I will definitely make more of these in different sizes!



The video that inspired me



No comments: