Monday, August 18, 2008

I loves me some roving

The last shipment I've been expecting showed up in my mailbox today :) I ordered from Mary Jane's Attic (http://www.maryjanesattic.net/index.php) who were very friendly and helpful.

I chose 2 roving colorways, the "Punkette" superwash merino and the "Rainbow" superwash merino. Unfortunately I found out that the "Rainbow" was sold out, so instead I asked for the "Purple Maize" corriedale.

"Punkette":
"Purple Maize":

I also ordered the "DIY Spin Kit" because it contained the spindle used in some of my favorite videos by Megan LaCore (http://www.youtube.com/user/theartofmegan).


What's really cool about this spindle is how versatile it is. I had no idea until I received my package and read the included booklet that it comes with 2 whorls. You can choose to use it as a top whorl setup or a bottom whorl. It also says you can use one or two of the plastic pieces at a time -- one if you are spinning singles and 2 if you are plying or making heavier weight yarn. I think that makes this an excellent purchase for a beginner because it lets you try out different things. It says on the package that the total weight is 2.2oz so I assume that means with both plastic whorls attached. I've not tried it yet but it feels good in my hands :) The kit also comes with a bag of assorted fibers.

I also received a little sample pack of misc fibers that I can play around with. Yay! =)


I picked up the new fall issues of "Interweave Knits" and "Vogue Knitting" magazines while grocery shopping today. I'm looking forward to browsing through those.

It's been a really busy past week. My husband had an outpatient surgery and I've been busy getting everything ready for my kids to start school this week. As a result, I've not gotten much knitting done on my socks and I fear that I may not actually get this second sock done by closing ceremonies. Next weekend will be a busy one so really I need to do most of my work before Friday afternoon. I need to get my butt in gear.