Here are some of the supplies: jars of acid dye, plastic cups for mixing, measuring cups, a spray bottle of white vinegar, some squirt bottles from the beauty supply store, wool soaking in a cleansing solution of synthrapol and water. Not pictured: a stock pot with lid and a steamer basket, a salad spinner, a colander, a drop cloth, newspaper, and saran wrap.
I mixed up 3 colors of dye - purple, turquoise and dark grey. I put a cup of water into each of 3 plastic cups, added less than 1/4 teaspoon of dye powder, and then stirred with a coffee stirrer. Then I poured the dye into the squirt bottles.
I left the wool soak in the synthrapol solution for about an hour while I got everything else ready. The synthrapol is supposed to clean the wool and make the dye be able to adhere to it better I think.
I took the wool out of the solution and put it in the salad spinner and spun out a bit of the water. Then I laid it out on the kitchen table which I had already covered with a plastic drop cloth and a line of newspaper for absorbing spills. I put the wool on top of a strip of saran wrap.
Then the kids and I used the squirt bottles to put the dye onto the wool in sections. We doused the top and then I used saran wrap to cover and flip the wool over so we could douse the other side. Then I sprayed the wool generously with the vinegar to activate the dye (like what you do with Easter egg coloring).
I wrapped the saran wrap over the wool and rolled it up from one end to the other. I think I used too much water this time because I had a lot of it leak out. Next time I will use less.
I covered the bottom of the stock pot with probably 1/2 inch or so of water, placed the steamer basket on the bottom and put the pot on the stovetop. I placed the wool wrapped in saran wrap onto the basket and put the lid on and turned on the heat to low. I let the wool steam for probably around 30 minutes and then removed the heat.
I took the steamer basket out of the pot and placed it on the counter until the wool was cooled off enough that I could unroll it.
Then I left it sit unwrapped so that it would cool to room temperature.
Once cooled, I placed the wool in a dishpan of like-temperatured water to rinse out any excess dye. I had surprisingly little dye bleed into the water. Once rinsed, I put the yarn back into the salad spinner and spun out as much of the water as I could.
Then I hung up the wool on a plastic hanger so that it could dry. Here is the finished product photographed the next day when it was dry:
I think it came out really pretty. I was worried that too much handling of the wool while it was wet would cause it to felt and clump together but it seems to be ok. Now I just have to see how well it drafts out when I spin it on the spinning wheel. Can't wait to see what the finished yarn will look like!
2 comments:
Holy smokes! That is ridiculous! It came out so pretty... the colors you chose went really well together. Freakin awesome, you are. I'm excited to see what it looks like when you're done spinning it.
Ooh, pretty! Dyeing looks like so much fun, but also kind of scary. Yours turned out really good. Can't wait to see it spun up!
Post a Comment