Thursday, April 22, 2010

I'm in a slump


So I know that I have not posted an update in quite a while. The reason for that is, well, I just don't have much to talk about right now as far as my crafting goes. I have been working on the same items for what feels like forever.

I started the Evenstar shawl KAL when it came out, and that shawl has taken up at least 90% of my knitting time. In the beginning I was doing well. I was keeping up with the clues, getting one completed just before the next one came out. But now I have fallen an entire clue behind. I am just ready to finish Clue 4, and Clue 6 comes out tomorrow I think. I don't really know what my deal is, maybe I am just a slow knitter compared to other folks. But at 500+ stitches per round I seem to only be able to get maybe 2 rounds done per day when I sit and work on it (and I am not always in the mood to work on it). But all the knitting on it has taken up my knitting time and I haven't been able to work on much else.

I started the Glynis sock from Cookie A's Sock Innovation book when Carin of Round the Twist started hers. I don't know about this pattern. So far I think it is the least favorite sock I have knit. The chart for it is really small, 12 stitches across and 9 rows, but its got a lot of K3tog and SSSK's in it. The yarn I am using is beautiful, my "Velvet Grapes" Malabrigo, but I have a hard time seeing the pattern with it. I will keep going with it, I'm almost to the heel of the first sock, but I am not very motivated to work on it. It doesn't hold my interest like the other socks I have done. So when I am not working on the Evenstar I am working on this.

And I also have my poor Lelah top. No more progress has been made on it. It's still around 7 inches long. I haven't had the time or desire to work on it but I leave it sitting right next to my desk in case I feel like picking it up.

But herein lies the problem: all three of these projects are some sort of lace. I think that's my problem. There is too much thinking required with all of them. Now don't get me wrong... I love lace. Especially lace patterns with laceweight yarn like my shawls. This is because I always feel the need to do something difficult and challenge myself. Like when I decide I want to learn how to do something, I am not satisfied just learning the regular stuff. I want to learn the hard stuff. Take my bellydance for example. I don't just want to be able to dance, I want to be able to do it while playing finger cymbals or balancing a sword on my head. Yeah. I'm like that.

However, I also need to have some kind of comfort project. One that just makes me feel good and relaxed when I work on it. Something fairly mindless and easy. I've got a ton of tv shows that I need to catch up on watching, but if I am too busy looking at my knitting and trying to remember a lace pattern, I am not able to pay attention. I'm thinking maybe I should start on a pair of plain vanilla socks. Maybe I will get some of that self-patterning sock yarn and just knit a pair of socks in stockinette. That sounds really good to me right now. I've been looking at some Vesper sock yarn online. People have been talking about that stuff a lot lately and it would be perfect. Or even some of the sock yarn that I got at JoAnn Fabrics to make my nephews baby socks with.

But that is where I stand with my knitting right now. I am still working on things, just not with any real speed or determination. Things are pretty stagnant right now. Same goes for my spinning. I have some of this pastel colored merino/tencel from Chameleon Colorworks on my wheel. I spun the first 4oz onto one bobbin and had the idea that I would try to navajo ply it. Well that turned out horribly. I just could not get the hang of that plying style and I ended up wasting a good many yards that came out all overspun and tangly looking and went in the trash. It was very frustrating to me and not the least bit enjoyable. So I gave up on that idea and started spinning the second 4oz on another bobbin and I will just 2-ply them the way I normally do. I'm not very jazzed about this fiber. I think I pretty much hate pastel colors. They bore the crap out of me or something and I am just not enjoying this spinning experience at all. I need to just power through it and get it done so that I can move on to something else and get this off the bobbins. I think this particular project has really killed my spinning mojo, and I have barely done any spinning in the past couple months.

Basically I need a new drug. I need a new fiber for my wheel that I really love to work with. I need a new knitting project that I can't seem to put down. 'Cause right now... it's the doldrums.

No comments: