Friday, December 18, 2009

Cinnamon Christmas Ornaments


Tonight my house is smelling wonderfully of cinnamon and spices. My kids and I decided to make some great-smelling ornaments to give out as gifts. I got the idea from a good friend of mine who gave me the recipe (thanks, Jen!). I can't take credit for the recipe because I didn't create it. There are a ton of different versions of the same recipe on the net if you google it. But here is the way I did it:

*******************************************

Cinnamon Christmas Ornaments


Ingredients needed:

3/4 cup ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp ground allspice
2 Tbsp ground cloves
1 Tbsp ground nutmeg
1 cup applesauce
ribbon


Mix together the spices in a bowl, then add the applesauce and stir until well blended. Roll out like cookie dough and cut with cookie cutters. Use a straw to make holes in the top of each ornament for hanging. Allow to dry, usually at least 2 days depending on thickness. Thread ribbon through the holes and tie a bow for hanging. Store in plastic bags until ready to use to preserve the scent.

*******************************************

I found that the mixture rolled out better after sitting for 30-45 minutes. Right after mixing it wanted to stick to the cookie cutters too much. I covered my wooden rolling pin in waxed paper and rolled them out on waxed paper as well. I also decided to use a coffee stirrer to put holes in mine because I felt the straw holes were too big. I will just use thinner ribbon to hang them. This recipe made 2 dozen ornaments using my standard sized 2-3" cookie cutters.

They look and smell awesome :)

No comments: